Sara - Auburn, Washington

This I Believe is What It Is like to Be One of the Only Religious Members of My Household

In today’s world, religion is taking on a whole new aspect to America and her citizens because of all the political happenings in the past. This has hit my family at home. There are only about two religious people in my family; my grandma and me. I’m not saying my family is Atheist, they believe there is a God, but they don’t praise and worship Him like my Grandmother and I do. We are not the stereotypical Christians, but we do go to church and we praise. We feel His presence and we love Him. My Grandma faced many challenges when it comes to her religion and I am starting to go through the same obstacles.

I have had to defend my faith and not let others take me down. I thought I accepted Christ into my life when I was in the fifth grade, the day I got baptized. I didn’t realize that letting a priest dump a couple of pitchers of water on my head meant I had allowed God into my life. I fell I did not totally receive Christ until I went to summer camp in 2004. All of the activities seemed to have delivered me to God. I let Christ into my life for the first time at the final campfire during a skit called a “Paper Heart”. After I accepted Him I just felt that everything could not be better. My thoughts were that ‘I already accepted Christ so I don’t have to worry anymore. I don’t have to pray or anything. I was completely wrong. My decisions lead me further and further away from what I did that Thursday night in 2003.

After Graduating from Holy Family Parish School in Seattle I went on to a public high school closer to where I live. I thought I lost all contact with Christ. I hardly ever went to church after graduation. Well, I did not completely lose touch with Christ; I still go to the same summer camp and do the same thing all over. I would accept Him on the Thursday night campfires and think that that would be the last time and that I would carry Christ with me wherever I went. In the start of summer in 2006, I got a phone call from Lake Retreat Camp and Conference Center, the camp I’ve been going to since 2003, and the person on the other end of the phone said that I would be hired to work there. I was thrilled. I would have the chance to spread the word of God like my previous counselors have done for me! The Summer Staff went through a lot that year; our boss was fired due to a major scandal. That led the group to stronger relationships with each other and with God. That summer was one of the most intense times in my life. This is the summer of truly accepting Christ. Of course I was on fire for the first couple months and then the fire seemed to fade. I started attending Young Life in the beginning of my sophomore year of high school. The fire within was just an orange umber and not the white hot fire that I’ve wanted since 2003. I went back to work at Lake Retreat over the summer of 2007 and of course regained the blue flame. This one has not faded as much as the rest have. I’ve tried to find new churches to attend and I’ve joined 2 youth groups: The EXiT and Young Life. They have kept the blue flame sparking and started to get it to become white. On Monday, November 26, 2007, I gained my white fire.

Nowadays people think that if you are Christian, Catholic, Buddhist, Jewish or even Hindu, you’re a freak. I know I have to stand up for my religion and help my Grandma keep her everlasting white flame going forever. Since we are the only two religious people in our family, we have to stick together. I Believe being religious is only one of the qualities that make you, you.