Good Ole’ Family Values

Anthony - Richmond, Virginia

I believe that a family is the most important thing that a person can have. I believe that a family is the backbone that a person cannot walk straight without. I believe that families are the safe havens that we run to when things are not going our way. I believe that families are the support beams to our buildings of life. I believe that family is what makes people thrive in life.

Since I was young my mother and grandmother have been stressing the importance of family to me. I learned to cherish the times I spend with my family. Some of the best days of my life have been filled with celebrating birthdays and holidays with my family. Every Thanksgiving we have breakfast at my aunt’s house and then dinner at mine. The kitchen would be full of food and laughter as we gathered around the table and watched my grandpa cut the turkey. On Christmas we go to my grandparent’s house and exchange gifts and have dinner. Whether I need a pat on the back or a kick in the but, I know I can depend on my family to be there for me.

I believe that a family does not have to be biological but merely a group of people that love and support each other in the highest degree. I have been blessed throughout my life with many groups of people whom I consider “family”. My “other family” can be found in my friends. I have known my closest friends since I was five years old. We’ve spent a lot of time together throughout the years. From getting in trouble at the lunch table in elementary school to filling out college scholarships together, we’ve been through it all. I call my friends family because they are people that I know I can depend on. There were several moments last year when I thought I wouldn’t graduate but my friends didn’t let me give up. They pushed me harder and made sure I did what was needed to be done.

The most important elements of family are reliability and support. A good family will always steer you the right way in life. I am lucky to have such a great family.