Dancing In the Rain

Patricia - Charlotte, North Carolina
Themes: nature, pleasure

The sky turns dark with clouds, thunder rumbles in the distance, and people scatter as rain drops begin to hit the ground. People frantically try to pull out umbrellas and run for cover inside buildings. Within a few minutes, everyone seems to be gone but there is usually one person walking slow enough to enjoy the torrential downpour. I believe in dancing, playing, and walking in the rain. I think everybody should be able to feel like a kid again, play a game with friends, or walk and enjoy the rain at least once.

When the rain begins to come down, instead of grabbing my textbook, I decide to forget about the book and walk in the rain. I feel free and release any reservations while walking through endless, deep puddles and wet leaves that have fallen on the ground. I embrace troubles and review the day in my head, and listen to the soothing qualities of the rain as it continues to fall.

Sometimes it is fun to grab a football, a Frisbee, or a soccer ball and start a game in the middle of a storm, like you did when you were a kid. The game never stopped when it was raining; the water falling from the sky seemed to add a new dimension to it, like playing in the rain was better and more fun because everything was wet.

When I was little, my favorite thing to do was to go outside and sit under a tree with my neighbor’s dog. I could sit for hours just watching the rain fall with ease and watching how birds and other animals came out during the rain. I observed the way grass and flowers glistened after the rain and how the sky became clear and sunny. Every once in a while you could see a rainbow over the meadow behind my house. It was nature’s way of rejuvenating itself. So now, when I walk in the rain, it reminds me of how simple and peaceful it was when I was a younger. It brings me back to my childhood and the good memories of watching the rain.

When it rains, I believe in resisting the urge to run with a book on top of your head like everyone else. Go out and dance in the rain because chances are everyone else is sitting inside and no one will see you anyway. Don’t avoid the rain because of a fear of ruining your new shoes or messing up your hair. Instead when it begins to pour, grab a basketball and call a friend and go out and dance in the rain or just start to walk and realize how refreshing the rain becomes. Go away from your comfort zone and play in the drizzling rain. I believe in dancing in the rain, feeling like a kid again, having a good time with friends, and sitting under trees watching the rain fall.