Angelina - san diego, California
Themes: family, purpose

Everyone has a story of how they were born, but I always liked my story better. It is interesting, compelling, and always reminds me of how priceless life is and unpredictable it is as well. This story began sometime during 1985 in Korea. My mother and father were happily married and with child, which was me. My dad was currently in the army at that time. My mother was not an American citizen so she had to wait for the papers to approve her American citizenship.

Before I was born, my father decided to visit his mother in America. Since my mother was not yet an American citizen, she had to stay. So, the day my father was scheduled to leave, my mother went on a train to meet with him at the airport. Before she got there she wanted to get something to eat. While she was finishing her food she saw the train leaving and did not want to risk missing out on saying good bye before he left. Without a thought, she tried to jump on the moving train. As the train moved faster and faster, she could not grasp any longer. She saw a tunnel coming up and let go. In a flash, she found herself on the floor covered in blood. Her left leg was cut off. She was rushed to the hospital. Later my dad received a phone call about the accident. He canceled his flight and met her at the hospital.

Since, I was not born yet; my mother was faced with two options: abort the baby or take the pain. Thankfully, she sacrificed to keep me alive. After that traumatic event, the plane that my father was to suppose to fly on crashed with no survivors. A couple of months later, I was born on thanksgiving. This is why I believe that everything happens for a reason.

I am always in shock when I hear this story over again. It helps me to remember to cherish my life and parents, but importantly it reminds me how connected everything is in my life. I take this lesson to help me not take any events for granted or coincidence. For example, I got a job right after I quit my other job. My first job was a fast food restaurant. I stayed there for about a year and quit for the purposes of better pay and more experience. I remember having to drop something off quickly at my mother’s work. There I met a friend of my mom who was looking for another worker for the Y.M.C.A. It was perfect timing for me. I did not even take the time to look for other jobs and needed one that fit my major. Working with children never crossed my mind. I have always gotten along with younger kids and tutored elementary kids on the side. If I had not dropped by my mother’s work, I would have probably never gotten the job. My life is not perfect but I always felt like everything always falls into place whether it is bad or good. This is why I belive everything happens for a reason.