Be True to Your Own Goals

Beck - Tujunga, California

“Come on guys, you can do it! If you stay focused and work together as a team, we are going to win this and make it to the semi-finals! Now is the time to really give it everything you possibly have!”

I didn’t grow up knowing that I wanted to be a basketball coach. I had thought as a youngster it would be best doing something that made a lot of money so I could be “rich” and “happy.”

I believe that it is far more important to pursue a career you are passionate about rather than one that is purely financially lucrative. When doing the thing you love, often you will be successful at it and at least make enough money to live. As long as I’m able to survive, I’m more interested in enjoying each and every day doing what I love. For me, it’s coaching.

As a junior in high school, I was at my younger brother’s seventh grade community basketball try-outs when approached by his previous year’s coach. He suggested that I volunteer as one of the coaches in the league. It sounded like an interesting idea to me, so I did it and became the coach of my brother’s new team. It was a fun experience, so I coached again the following year. The second season was the one that really hooked me and got me excited about coaching as a career.

I have now been a high school varsity head coach for four years, worked at and run several basketball camps, and done countless hours of individual and team training. My teams have done very because most important of all, the players are learning and improving their skills. I get a lot of joy and satisfaction from what I do, and it doesn’t bother me that the pay is often low.

Far too often I talk to friends and classmates only to find they hate their jobs and dislike their classes. In both cases they are sticking to it only for the money. Based on the fact that we typically work forty or more hours per week, I believe this vast amount of time spent in our life would be best suited doing what we truly enjoy and love doing. I would rather be poor and happy than rich and unhappy. This is what I believe.