I believe in taking risks.

Crystal - Richmond, Utah

Risks come in a variety of different flavors, each containing a certain zest or tang that covers the blandness of my everyday living. I use risks as the spice of life. Each provides a unique taste that adds to the savor of my existence. Risks are the barbeque sauce on my rack of ribs, and the herbs on my pork roast.

I believe in adventure seeking, a risk of death. I believe in jumping out of airplanes at 13,000 feet, plummeting toward the ground with no sure way of knowing if my parachute will disengage correctly before colliding with the earth. I risk my life to feel that gratifying serenity of flying above the world with the wind singing in my ears. I am whoever I want to be. When I return to reality with both feet on the ground each breath seems sweeter and I have a deeper appreciation for life.

I believe in obtaining a higher education, a risk of failing. College homework is a relentless burden that drains my ambition as the years keep passing. After the second semester I attended at Utah State University, a 0.00 GPA glowered at me from my once, flawless transcript. Like a slap in the face, I had failed. Now, my fear of failing again drives me to be the best that I can be despite the work load. One day I will receive my diploma, the work will be well paid off and I will have accomplished what many have not. An education is irreplaceable.

I believe in love, a risk of getting hurt. The feeling of love is like a shield that protects me from the world’s harshness. It gives me strength being enwrapped in the arms of a man that cares for me. However, I never know if he is going to break my heart. I have loved, and I have also been crushed. The heartbreak seems to last forever, discouraging another encounter. But when the feeling found itself in my heart again, I became hungry for its unsurpassed sensation. Love is undeniably the greatest risk of all.

Each risk that I have ever taken has given me a little piece of knowledge that I can carry with me the rest of my life. Without them, I would not be who I am today. Each time a risk is taken something is jeopardized. And the greatest risks put some of the most important assets in peril. A risk is a chance, a chance for love, life, education, excitement, and pain. Risks are the colors that paint my life so vividly. The salt and pepper on my potatoes.