Marlena - Baltimore, Maryland

I believe that we care about the small things in life. Doesn’t it annoy you when someone leaves their junk all over the place? How about when you can’t find a parking space for twenty minutes? Sure it does. These small nuances take up our time. I feel that one of the most reused sentences in the English language lately seems to be: “I’m tired.” Well, who isn’t? Furthermore, it seems that there should be an underlying reason for our exhaustion. We blame it on our small nuances, but are these really the reasons we need a nap?

What it comes down to is it doesn’t matter that our toast burnt today and that our shoes got wet on the way to work. America has bred the image of the ideal world being created solely of new-age technology. But does a phone with the Internet on it solve our exhaustion, or does it cause it? I think it is possible that we all hear the phrase, “I’m tried,” a few dozen times a day because we are all exhausted by things beyond our errands and daily tasks. I think we are bored of our technologically advanced existence.

In fact, my stuff owns me. I am a slave to my computer and my phone. More importantly, what is the reward? More time spent on useless conversation, more closed minds.

There are only so many hours in a day and more and more of them are being spent on managing our objects and less on relationships, goals, or ideas. Basically, what we are having for dinner is not much of a dilemma. The world is so much bigger than us. We are specks of dust in our dryers compared to the infinite number of individuals in the world. I don’t expect us to stand up, throw away our phones, and join the Peace Core. However, why not use the phone to call someone and have a conversation about something other than what you ate for breakfast?

Change only happens when we are willing to separate what we are comfortable with from what we need. Talking about my weekend plans is a comfortable situation. But what happens if we talk about changing the American ideal? Maybe we can create a new image of America; one that stands for family and outreach, instead of one defined as a technological giant. Nothing will change until we make an effort to realize the insignificance of something like not finding our other sock. I’m tired of America’s long-lasting technological revolution. Where is the revolution for the rest of our lives?