Kimberly - Charlevoix, Michigan

I once had a friend give me a gift with a personal note inscribed, “Thank you for showing me the one thing built to last…friendship.” I will never forget receiving that note, for it gave me a sense of giving that I have never let go of.

Throughout my adolescent and early adult years I ran with the outcasts of society: the crowd whom were in trouble with school authorities and the law on numerous occasions. Although I didn’t crave trouble in the ways that they did, we all had something in common; we came from broken lower class families. Throughout history society has proven it difficult to rise up and out of poverty stricken families. Many of my friends let society keep them down thinking that there was, and is, no way out of what you were born into. I have never believed there was no way out, and I continue to do my best to keep my friends from thinking that that is reality. I fight an ongoing battle to keep hope within them, and within myself.

I was the outcast in our group of outcasts. My friends jokingly labeled me the “pure one” back in the day! While they were experimenting with drugs and trouble, I’ve always tried to keep a positive level of behavior: taking care of any friend, with any need to the best of my abilities. If ever a problem were to arise, I was the one to call for help. If ever someone was feeling down, I was the one to give the hugs-n-love; it could have been any kind of situation and I would have been there to help.

As the years have sailed by, I have made it a personal goal of my own to always be there for my friends, and if possible shed a positive light on any problem. Making people’s lives brighter for even a moment has become a passion of mine, and I stay true to it. I currently have friends from those years whom still call upon me for solace in their periods of darkness. I have always made it clear that I will always be around and available with open arms.

Everyone needs a good friend to walk by their side through the gauntlets of life, and be there to celebrate on the plateaus that lay beyond. I have several true friends that have been by my side through my periods of darkness, whom have switched roles with me, and brought me back from that place we all have in the depths of our souls. It has been an honor to be considered a true friend within my circle of friends, whom consist of the people I love. I believe that having a true friend is an asset that everyone should have, cherish, and keep close to the heart.