Andrew - Chandler, Arizona

The day started off with me waking up in my sister’s room… with me in her bed and Matt on the floor, but this is only because my sister was asleep in my room. Shortly after Matt left, which was shortly after he woke up and realized I was awake and watching Megaman NT Warrior, I received a phone call and one I had actually been dreading getting since I partially knew it was coming. It was Paul Turner, and I was supposed to be doing this drama thing with kids from second year drama, now I had already set out in my mind that I was going to say no, but for some reason (I think it was the combination of just waking up/ Megaman being over) I agreed. And 20 minutes later I was in a car with Justin Kelley, Lauren Gambino, and Paul. We get to Paul’s house and things are made increasingly awkward when Francesca pulls up to the house in her Mercedes and I realize that the only reason I’m here really is because I was in second year drama. So we’re waiting to go over to Mr. Carters house to set up a slip and slide when Paul comes in with a backpack, one that will forever change my life. Inside this backpack were the following items: Two Ping-Pong balls, 20 blue plastic cups, and six cans of warm Bud Light. We then proceeded to play Beer-Pong. Now I must say I understand how popular kids, are so popular, because it’s pretty easy to fit in just about anywhere when you’re under the influence. The premise of the game is to basically throw a ping pong ball into ten cups set up like bowling pins all filled with beer when someone from the opposite team makes one into your cup, you have to drink that cup. I will be the first one to admit that I suck at beer pong, because I quickly found myself losing to Paul and Justin. Of course being the good-natured me, I stopped drinking after one game, this was because alcohol is the most vile tasting thing in the entire fucking world. The only upside to this was that it did wonders to my nerves. I quickly found myself joking around, acting crazy, things I normally do when I’m with people I know well. We then spent the rest of the time slip and sliding, talking to Mr. Carter and joking around… the rest of that day was semi pointless, I had Omar come over and we hung out. But the reason I will never forget that day, is because on this day I realized the only difference between my summer and the summer of Paul Turner, was a couple of parties, and a lot of alcohol, and that was it. This made me extremely happy. Because the truth is… that summer was about as far from uneventful as you can get. That summer was about being me, a geeky fifteen year old kid named Andrew Hogberg, who doesn’t break rules and doesn’t do bad things. Who loves making things awkward almost as much as he loves making people laugh. That summer was really about finding myself and where I belong, I think I did… and let me tell you, there was no other place I’d rather be.