Alexandra - 40403, Kentucky

I believe that there are situations in our lives that while we are in them we don’t quite understand, but they always make us stronger in the end. Alcohol has been something that has consumed my parent’s life. Alcohol itself can make a person react differently and slows the person’s body down. It may feel good and “take the pain away” but for how long? I have lived with both of my parents; they have been divorced since I was a baby.

In my younger years I lived with my mother and saw how she depended on alcohol on day to day bases. I lived out of district, when I was with her, and she was supposed to take me to school everyday. Some days she wouldn’t get up and take me to school because of being passed out from the night before. She was always so sad and depressed. Through my middle school days, I lived with my father. I didn’t really know him while I grew up but I needed to change the environment I lived in because of my mother, so I went to live with him. I saw right a way that he had a drinking problem. Everyday we would go by the liquor store and pick up one or two twenty four packs of beer. It was ridicules. He had a very violent behavior while under the influence. My father had two other children by his second wife, my brother and sister. Every night I would take them upstairs to my room and we would play games and watch TV when the situations would get out of hand.

I didn’t understand why I had parents that were this way but now I look back and understand it clearly. I decided in high school I didn’t want to have children because I didn’t want them to have to go through anything that I have been though. I know now that I want children because I have learned from my parent’s mistakes and will not make the same ones they did. Neglect and depression are two things that a substance does when it takes a hold of your life. I’m not saying not to drink alcohol and that I have never drank it, I’m saying that I will have control over what happens and I will not let something so silly control me. Everyone has their ups and downs and we cope with it in different ways. Both of my parents are doing great now and have overcome there drinking problems, and I forgive them for their former days. Maybe my parents should have talked to somebody and of tried to get help back then, they chose their own path, and I know now that I will not take the same path. I’m sure I will mess up sometime in my life, I’m human, but I know I will never let something such as alcohol control my life.