Victoria - Chesapeake, Virginia
Themes: pleasure

I believe in days off, sleeping in, and relaxing. I believe that being lazy once in a while is something every human being needs to do to stay sane. Skipping out on work, school, family obligations, parties, or meetings can be a liberating experience that refreshes any workaholic’s body and mind. There’s nothing more relieving than staring bleary-eyed at the computer screen late at night reading that short, glorious e-mail that says my 8:00 AM class will be canceled the next morning, or waking up to see the streets covered with snow and ice. Any opportunity to miss school or work should make any normal person’s week, and even though I think I get way too excited to blow off my obligations, I’m sure I’m not the only one who feels that way.

Instead of waking up at 6:30 AM and painfully try to find clean clothes, and grab a pop tart, I can wake up whenever my body feels rested and ready to begin the day. I can bum around my house bra-less, in oversized sweatpants, an old T-shirt, and a messy bun and be properly dressed for my surprise day of relaxation. I can shower if and when I want and eat when and whatever I want. Instead of sitting in an hour or more of traffic, battling fatigue with scorching hot coffee and morning talk radio, I can sit at home and catch up on some reading, go get a pedicure, play video games, or curl up on the couch and see what’s on the television. I can go to the gym if I’m feeling active, or get some fresh air and go horseback riding. There is no planning, no homework, no stress. Just me relaxing and letting the remedy of a day off take effect.

Everyone deserves a day off once in a while, whether it’s a day given or a day taken. Life can become overwhelming with school, work, and a mess of other obligations that come up unexpectedly, and a day off is the perfect cure for a tired brain and body. If more people took days to be lazy and lounge around, the world of high stress jobs and school might be more bearable.