Caitlin - Reno, Nevada
Themes: race

The one thing I think everyone is asking most everyday is ‘can I do this?’ or ‘can I do that?’ I think the right to do what you want is freedom. Whether its freedom of speech your talking about or just freedom in general I definitely can say it’s the one thing I do believe in.

One afternoon, I was spending in 8th grade history to be exact, was an afternoon that changed my ways of thinking forever. I was sitting quietly at my desk when our teacher, Mr. Constantino told us to open our History Books to page 274. The room soon became full with young voices which became louder and louder as everyone was scrambling to get out their books. I sighed as the book flew open and my eyes were glued to the page. Right there, smack dab in the middle was the word slavery. Today we were obviously learning about slavery. We learned how African Americans were forced into slavery at very young ages whether they liked it or not. They were forced to work long hard hours in fields where the temperature could reach up to one hundred degrees simply doing anything. From picking beans or corn or berries, to watering plants and moving things. If these slaves did anything wrong they could be abused and eventually put to death. So I guess what I’m saying is that I believe in freedom and I also believe in treating everyone equally no matter what color their skin is. When history was finally over, I quietly shut my book and sighed once more. For the rest of the day, actually week I couldn’t stop thinking about the topic. Too many things were going through my head at once. I couldn’t imagine getting separated from my family and having to slave away all day. I wish I lived back then, I would have tried to change things earlier, tried to make everything alright for everyone.

In conclusion, I believe that everyone, no matter what age, what skin color or even what hair color foe that matter should be treated equally, and should have freedom.