Kadie - Fairfield, California
Themes: illness

A year and a half ago I went job hunting for my first job. Having no experience, I applied anywhere and everywhere; the movie theaters, stores in the outlets, ice cream shops. You know, all the places the average teenager in town applies to. The first place to call me back was Starbucks, the last place I had expected to be working at. I had no knowledge whatsoever of coffee or even Starbucks drinks. I wasn’t a regular or a fan. Having worked at Starbucks for quite some time I have come to believe that Starbucks coffee is not good for you and is a part of the fast food obesity problem in America.

Now I’m sure you are thinking to yourself, “Why would she tell us not to buy things she sells?” Even though I work there, I will be real with you and tell you that almost everything there is not good for you. One example of this is the frappuccinos we serve. A grande strawberries and crème has as many calories and fat grams as a Big Mac at McDonalds. A blueberry muffin or any similar pastry you can order is the same as ordering a fry from a fast food restaurant. In some drinks you can order non-fat or soy milk to make it better for you but any of the syrups have almost your entire sugar serving for the day.

I am not going to tell you to never drink Starbucks. I do believe that you should follow the saying, “Everything is okay in moderation”. Having a drink every once in a while is not going to kill you or cause mass clotting of your arteries. You are safe until the people at Starbucks know your name. That’s when you know you are in danger. Every

Fischer 2

time I work a 12-8pm shift I see regulars come in at least three times in the course of my three hour shift. There’s *John; who orders a grande quad extra hot caramel macchiato with a tall coffee and two chocolate chip cookies and Wendy; who gets either a tall green tea frappuccino or a grande latte. And someone we call “americano” lady who, of course, orders a hot grande americano in her purple, sparkly, flower cup she brings in every morning and every night. Some people live at Starbucks. They are there so much they might as well set up their bed and use our back room as their closet.

Even though Starbucks coffee is bad, I believe the company isn’t. It is a great organization and I love my job. I have met so many amazing people there and Starbucks is environmentally aware and donates many things to the community. However, I do believe that Starbucks is part of the fast food company chains in America that is causing our country to be one of the most obese nations in the world. Starbucks needs to work on improving the health quality of their drinks and people need to remember moderation and to hold the whip.

*names have been changed