Lilah - Lancaster, Pennsylvania

Does anyone ever tease you about how many things you find and keep; how many things you stow away in your basement? Why does stashing stuff away seem to have a negative connotation? I believe that my art gives this kind of behavior a positive connotation. I am indeed a pack rat. I find little trinkets, search for knickknacks, and stash what other people might consider junk in my basement in my house in Queens. Yet, through doing this, I have found out what makes me complete. I believe that you must cherish the trivial things in life, because you may look back and realize they were the big things. Every little thing counts because it adds up to something colossal.

Some people consider strolling the streets and exploring neighborhoods a waste of time; but this is how I found my passion in life. From old books to records to photographs or even movie films, I found many things both on the streets and in small shops. It did not matter to me how old or ordinary these items appeared; if they struck my fancy I took them home. I came to realize that the compass I had bought last week, and the postcard I had found littering the city streets would fit nicely together in the box I had just purchased from the woodshop right down the road. What looked like an ordinary shell or a discarded theater program could really be a masterpiece if combined in the right manner. One of my favorite quotes by Henry David Thoreau is “the question is not what you look at, but what you see.”

What I see when I look at the arrangement of all the little things into one final product is something of great value. Taking small items of little to no importance and creating a whole other world that serves as a voyage for me into an imaginative universe, that I can attract others into, is a valuable experience. I believe in the power to inspire others through my own imagination. I believe in creating something from close to nothing. I believe in making the little things count. This I believe.