“Live every day as if it’s your last”

Timothy - Greeley, Colorado

Live every day as if it’s your last

Every day that I wake up I know that there are obstacles in my way for the day. Some of them will be easy and some will be tough. As we know, not one day seems to be the same. But I go into everyday the same, as I would always no matter what the day will bring me. “Live every day as if it’s my last.” This I believe.

I started to live by this after an incident that would change my life forever. When I was eight years old my dad passed away in front of my eyes. He was only 35 years old when he passed away to a better place. Ever since this day I have gone into every day knowing that this day could be my last. My father always told me to enjoy life and have fun. I sometimes sit by myself and just wonder about him and what he would want me to be doing. I know he would not want me to sit here and dwell on his death; he would rather have me live my life with happiness in the way that he taught me. And realize that life is shorter than we think. I also lost too many friends in my high school days to drunk drivers, drug overdoses, and suicides. Sometimes the choices we make are the ones that end up taking our lives.

Every day that we wake up there is a chance that some of us are not coming back. We do not control the people that we see on the roads, at restaurants, etc. What we can control is how we live our lives. I know that if a big chance comes upon me I will take it, because I never know if that offer will come my way again. Or the next time that offer comes around I could no longer be here. Living my life as if every day were my last helps me achieve the things I want to achieve. Makes me think hard and realize that we do not have the amount of time we think we do. Lives can be short and lives can be long. Living by this motto will make sure I will go on with my life and not worry about having any regrets.

When the day comes to an end, I sit there and talk to my father, asking him questions about how his day was and how mine was. I know that one day it will be my last and I will be with him forever. With his passing, I learned to “live every day as if it’s your last.”