jake - auburn, Washington

“I believe that if you set your mind to something that in time you can achieve anything you want.”

In an environment like today it is hard for most teenagers to be goal orientated. The average teen doesn’t have goals they strive to achieve. They just go about there lives by just getting by. The ones that do have goals and try to accomplish them have something to live for and a reason for doing what they are doing. That is why I like to have goals I wish to achieve and goals I have already accomplished.

Growing up I have always set goals that I would like to reach. As I reached those goals I would set more advanced and difficult goals and so on and so on. When I was little I always have tried to get good grades, finish all my home work, and stay organized. I think that doing this at a young age really helped me out through out the rest of my life. Now I always stay organized and keep good grades. Also when I was younger I made a lot of very important wrestling goals that I have kept trough out my life as well. Some of them were become a national champion, which I have accomplished. Also another one I achieved was to become a high school state champ. Some goals that I remember setting for myself that I still have a strong desire to achieve are to get a full ride to a division one college and win the N.C.A.A.’s. If it wasn’t for me setting these goals I feel that they wouldn’t have happened. I believe that when you set goals for yourself that they are chain linked and you start to achieve the lower level goals. It makes it easier to believe your higher goals can actually come true. Also when you write down your goals it’s easier to know exactly what you want. Which makes it less of a challenge for you to have your goals come true.

I believe that actually setting goals for yourself enables you to make them come true. If more young people in America set goals that they strived to achieve. Then America would become more successful and have less poverty. There would no longer be any bums dirtying the streets. Also there would be less unemployed people and drop outs from school. Instead of people becoming those things they could set goals to graduate school, get a job, and buy a house.

I’ve known people who have set pretty high goals and worked really hard to achieve them. I’m sure that all the big time doctors, lawyers and C.E.O.’s of companies have set goals to help guide them on their way to become what they want to be. Also all the really good athletes have probably set really high goals for them selves and also did everything they could to get better and be as good as they want to be. This is why I believe that setting goals helps you reach your greatest desires.