Jonathan - Phoenix, Arizona

As a freshman at Arizona State University with my first semester of college behind me, I have had more new experiences in the past few months than I have had in the past few years. I have been exposed to new levels of responsibility, freedom, and independence. But I feel that the most important new experience is meeting and learning about new people. These people come in all shapes, sizes, cultures, and beliefs. But to my shock many of these people lack what I consider to be a fundamental element of an education. Many lack basic understanding of the world around them. They simply do not take the time to care about national and international events that may shape the lives of their children or themselves.

All too often I have tried to spark a political or theological conversation with another student, only to be met with a blank stare. Even worse, are students who simply absorb the political and ideological beliefs of their parents or the people around them, never to ask questions or think for themselves. Upon graduation they may enter the real world under prepared for the realities of life and by not questioning what they are told, they are susceptible to manipulation. These students need to be instilled with a fire to be a positive influence in the world and take part in events that can change humanity. If awareness and passion towards the subject of international and political awareness could be raised, students entering the real world will be able to make a profound impact on the planet, rather than sit idle as life passes them by. Students must learn to care about the world around them. This I believe.