Tyrus - Berea, Kentucky

I strongly believe in always giving not just 100%, but 110 % in whatever you are doing. I believe that there is no such thing as “quitters.” Quitting is another way of saying you’re physically and mentally weak and it has never been accepted in my household since I was young kid. I was always taught that you stick to the fight when your hardest hit. This is saying that life is not fair at all. You are going to have your struggles, your battles and sometimes they come at you very hard. This only tests you as a person, and if you can hang in there through the worst of times and stick it out, then you will have a better chance at succeeding in life. My mom and dad also taught me that whenever you go to do something, give everything you got. Always try to do a little bit more than what you think you’re capable of doing, because if you do that, then you know for sure you will not be failing and that you’re not a quitter. Whoever said life was going to be easy anyways? When you are born, your are NOT guaranteed to an easy life. It starts off with being young and in kindergarten when you’re trying to remember that long, what seems to be a never ending alphabet. You keep trying and trying and trying until you have it down pat. Then, you will eventually run into school work, projects, papers and then final exams. There are also sporting events where you find yourself or your team down by a run or a certain score in the closing minutes, seconds or innings of a game. I can remember one specific game last year where our coach had just called a time out with a little under 5 minutes to go in the 4th quarter because it looked as if our team was falling apart and was about to quit. I glanced up at the scoreboard to only see us down by 10. As a privilege and honor of being named our basketball team’s captain, I took our 5 guys we had on the floor and said “Listen, we are not quitting or laying down right now. There is still too much time on the clock. We can do this, just go out there and for these last minutes of the game, give it your all. Give MORE than what your body thinks is physically capable of doing. You got all night and all day tomorrow to rest, but right now, we have a ball game to win. DON’T QUIT!” Sure enough, we break out of our huddle and end up winning the game by 6 points. What I’m trying to say is that if you make up your mind that you’re just going to quit, then you will not get anything accomplished. Throughout your life you will find yourself struggling, because believe it or not, your life is full of twists and turns that just make you want to give up and throw it all away. But like I said, I believe you have to stick to the fight when your hardest hit, and never ever give up.