Anonomys - 98002, Washington

I have lived here since I was four. I think I am able to tell what it is like to be a young person in America. Since I am in high school now, I tend to look back on my past a lot.

I haven’t lived in Washington all of my life either. I moved here four years ago and had to get used to it because it was very different from the little town of Fort Bragg, California that I used to live in. When I first entered school in Washington I was in the eighth grade and of course I didn’t have any friends but I tried my best to just go with the flow. I was sort of scared that I wasn’t going to make any friends but I acted like myself and before I new it I was making tons.I was very active in sports and did very well in my classes, but somehow that wasn’t enough for certain people. For some reason there was a group of girls who seemed to dislike me. I got really upset, because I didn’t know them, and they were judging me before they even knew me. As I would walk by in between passing periods they would whisper and glare at me. I thought that I was doing something wrong, when really I wasn’t. I tried to ignore it and keep doing sports, and hanging out with my friends but for some reason those girls just seemed to keep on bothering me.

In my opinion I think that they didn’t like me because I didn’t hang out with, “the Mexicans”, and hung out with all types of different people. To be honest still to this day I have no idea why they disliked me. It was strange, because I always tried to get along with everyone no matter who it was, and here was a group of girls who I barely knew that couldn’t even take the time to get to know me and just went straight to basically hate me. I kept on trying no to let them get to me, because people like that aren’t even worth the time to think about. I did that by basically ignoring everything they did towards me like laughing and gossiping.

After I went through their entire name calling, gossiping and all their rumors it was already the end of my eighth grade year. There was an awards ceremony and I was given four awards. Every time you were recognized for something you would have to go up in front of the whole eighth grade and receive your certificate. That was something I was proud of because besides everything I went through I was very proud of myself for getting all of the awards that I got. Once the ceremony was over the eighth grade had a time to sign year books and just hang out. During that time those girl that supposedly hated me went up to me and gave me a letter. In that letter it basically said that they were sorry for acting the way they didm, and that they didn’t know how I really was. That led me to believe that the only reason that they didn’t like me was because they didn’t know me.

I believe that nobody should be judged in any way especially if you don’t know them. As I walk through the hallways of my school I constantly see people being criticized by what they wear, what race they are, what they believe in, or just how they are. I just don’t understand why some people think that you have to be a certain way in order to be cool. I also believe that some of my peers think that in order to be liked you must do or be what people want or like.

Being a young person in America means having to deal with going to high school and being criticized by your own peers; not only in high school do you get criticized but everywhere you go. I think that if everyone just loved themselves a little bit more then you would have the kindness to accept people the way they are. Making assumptions about people is just not fair.