John - San Diego, California

Sometimes, people do not always make lemonade when life throws a lemon at them. Personally, I have had moments in my life where I was to stubborn to change. My Social Psychology class at San Diego State University was an example that tested my character and ability to change. Bored and struggling to stay awake in lecture, I wondered how I would ever get through this class. Sure enough, my first test was a C-. At first that was shocking, so I decided to be more diligent. Unfortunately, my efforts were not enough as I strolled half way through the semester with a D after the third exam. Enough was enough, I needed to either take some real action, or repeat this class. Obviously, the latter was not an option. The fact was that I did (and do) have control over my life. All I had to do was think about how I was going to be successful and pass this class. Thus, the first step for me was recognizing the problem. Grueling and suffering, I went to every lecture from that point on doing my best to pay attention in class. Also, the self discipline I used in reading the chapters in the textbook that complemented the lectures was quite a challenge as well. As the test approached, I started my descent to success a week prior to examination time. Looking over the book, as well as the textbook website for outlines and flashcards was my daily dose of hell. Everyday, I spent gargantuan amounts of time studying, in hope that I would get out the lions den alive. The fourth midterm came and went as I was successful on that exam. The fifth and final midterm was approaching, and it was time to get pumped. The class was structured so you did not have to take the final if your midterm scores reflected the grade you wanted. Well believe it or not, I was on track to get a B. I worked it out so if I got a high B on the last midterm, I would have a B in the class and would not have to take the final. And so the final bell rang and I trekked down the final path that led to a B. Reading chapters, looking at outlines and summaries, reviewing flashcards, etc…the injections of knowledge were tedious but worth it. Lecture, on the other hand, was useless because I finally realized that the exams were based solely off the book despite the fact that the professor emphatically said that lecture was important to being a success in the class. At long last, midterm 5 came, and so I jumped in the pilots seat and zoomed off into the B dimension. That’s right! I got that high B and a final grade of B in Social Psychology. And the journey of driving the success plane through the change dimension ascended to new beginnings.