Be an encouragement

Jisun Lee - AMERICUS, Georgia

Ever since I was in middle school, there was a person whom I always wanted to become. She was one of my friends who encouraged me, and taught me what it is like to encourage other people. She always smiled and was kind to every friend around her.

There was one event that I never forget. My school had a field day every year that every student participates in many kinds of sports, and games. Among many games and sports, there was a running session which I was not good at. I was afraid of being made fun of by other people for being a last person who gets the finishing line. I was so nervous that my friend could notice what the matter was. It was getting closer to my turn, and I could not help myself trying to calm down. I realized that my friend has been looking at me. When she came to me and said “Do you still remember who the last person in the running last year?” after pause, she continued. “Almost all people do not remember who the person was. No matter what, what really important is that you give your best shot because in the end, nobody will remember who has won or lost.” After what she told me, it helped me more than I could ever imagine; she made my day. Since then, I have wanted to be a person who can give a compliment or encouragement to make other people feel better, and make other people’s day no matter how I am. I don’t think I ever told my friend what she said to me on that day helped me tremendously.

Since I didn’t have a chance to say thank to her, I have tried to do those good things although I barely hear people’s thank because it’s not a behavior that I am looking forward to get something back later on, but just giving it away whether it really helps or not. Every time I talk to people, I try to do certain things. For example, keeping eye contact with a person, listening and trying to understand what the person says, and when I say something or give an advice, I try to talk in a good way.

I believe if I keep trying to be encouragement to people, some people will feel better when they have some troubles or when they have difficulty to find confidence. Actually, an occupation that I want to have after college is either music teacher or music therapist. The main purpose of both jobs is same. They help other people, but each one has different characteristics. As long as I keep this belief, I will enjoy my job and be able to help people to have better