The Power of Pit bulls

Brandy - Charlevoix, Michigan

“Punish the deed, not the breed”, this is rarely the case for these often neglected and abused dogs. People never stop and think that their own actions have caused the downfall and bad reputation of these loving dogs. My journey thru this past year started in December of 2006. My fiancée and I decided to give ourselves a gift, a new addition to the household. That gift would change our lives forever. It would make me believe in the power of pit bulls.

She was beautiful, friendly, well mannered, and appropriately named Princess Jazmyn. She proved, from day one, that she was to be the star of the show at all times. It was agreed, if we would cater to her, she would give us all the unconditional love she had. Our family felt complete. It was I, my fiancée, and our pit bull, against the world.

The acceptance of Jazmyn by my family and friends was intertwined with fear and ignorant statements based on that fear. “What will you do if she attacks you while you’re sleeping?”, “What if she eats one of your cats, or your other dog”, “Don’t bring her around my children, because she will surely bite them”. There are so many myths and twisted stories of these vicious “monsters” that people recognize as pit bulls. There are so many truths that people refuse to see because they are uneducated. Some of these truths include statistics. In a recent study of 122 dog breeds by the American Temperament Testing Society (ATTS), pit bulls achieved a passing rate of 83.9%. That’s as good as or better than beagles…78.2%, and golden retrievers…83.2% ( I used to be one of “those people” that whenever I would hear the word “pit bull”, automatically pictures of bloody flesh and missing extremities would flash thru my mind. Now when I hear the word “pit bull” my heart flutters and joy rises in my soul. Now instead of horrible images, I see lazy lap dogs, protectors of children, and blanket hogs. I strive everyday to open the minds and hearts of those uneducated people.

My hope is that one day pit bulls can be looked at and respected for the wonderful breed that they are, instead of what some people have made them. If I can change one person’s mind about pit bulls then I have done my duty as a responsible pit bull owner. Yes they are pit bulls, and yes they are friendly.