Daisies

Lindsay - Goodview, Virginia
Themes: pleasure

I believe in taking time to pick daisies. Enjoying the moment has become somewhat of a lost art. The simplicity and beauty of life has been drowned out by a technological, time driven culture. I am easily caught up in the hustle and bustle that rules my daily existence, and need constant reminders to slow down and enjoy life. Sometimes the most influential, time stopping, life changing moment is wrapped in the simple, fragile cloak of a flower.

The wonderful thing about daisies is that they can be found just about anywhere. I don’t have to travel half way around the world to find them, nor do I have to develop an incredible skill to be able to be able to gather them. A daisy can be as small as the wrinkled toes of a newborn baby, or as expansive as a sunset strewn across the western sky. I have found just as many daisies in the laughter of children playing in the streets of New York City as I have in weeks spent surrounded by the Appalachian wilderness. No matter its size or location a daisy is simply finding beauty in the ordinary, right where I am.

Though they may not be hard to come by, actually picking daisies is a different story. It is rarely convenient for me to interrupt my daily schedule to embark upon a daisy picking excursion. A daisy is a small flower, and by its very nature will not jump out at me with splendor demanding my immediate attention. I have to purposefully place myself in a position to take notice of it. Sometimes this means walking a little ways off the path, or bending down to get a closer look.

I have also found that despite my greatest efforts, finding daisies is always an unpredictable affair. There is definitely something to be said for planned activities that allow the opportunity to take time away from life and enjoy it. However, the “daisy picking” I’m referring to does not fall into this category. I am talking specifically about moments enjoyed in the midst of (and sometimes in spite of) daily life, not apart from it. Daisy picking is not a onetime experience; it is a mindset.

So where do I find daisies? They are everywhere around me. Sometimes a daisy is as simple as the smile of a child, or the song of summer rain on a tin roof. The key to finding them is simply looking. Not planning them in to my schedule, but simply watching for them to pop at unexpected times. I look forward with anticipation to the many daisies left to add to my collection in the future. I hope that through all the many places this incredible journey takes me, I am never too busy to stop and enjoy the crazy, wonderful, and exotic experience of life. My time here on earth is too short not to live in the moments that take my breath away.