victoria - gulfport, Mississippi
Themes: love

“Good things come to those who wait.” My mother told this to me when I was thirteen years old. I had just developed a crush for a young man who was five years older than I was. She and I both knew that at that time it could be no more than a simple crush. As the days, months, and years passed I reminded myself of those seven words, “Good things come to those who wait”. Those words helped me ease my heartache as I watched this young man date other young women. Three years passed and I turned sixteen. On my birthday, my father allowed me to start wearing makeup and heels, finally! Those two things gave me a completely new attitude about myself. Though I felt mature and quite like a young woman, I never forgot my mother’s seven words of wisdom. About two months after I turned sixteen this young man began to get friendlier with me. He would ask me, “What did you do this weekend?” or “How was your week?”, rather than the usual, “Hello, how are you?” Because we went to church together, I was able to see him quite often. He was also my uncle’s nephew by marriage. Picking out clothes to wear to church or to a mutual cousin’s birthday party became a quest for perfection. I almost did not know how to react to the special attention he started to give me. However, I learned fast. I was in love with this man far before we ever started dating, and we started dating three months after I turned sixteen. Had it not been for those seven words of wisdom, I would not have known the true value of waiting for what my heart truly desired. Good things come to those who wait this I believe.