Karla - Horizon City, Texas
Themes: creativity, hope

This I Believe…

I believe in the power of dreaming with the unrestrained imagination of a child.

When I am having a bad day you can see me staring off into space, I can’t really help it, it is just something that I do. It is my way of finding a momentary pause button for life. Fortunately for me these pauses are… timeless and in my opinion as infinite as the imagination of a child. I am free to be whatever I wish to be.

Don’t get me wrong, I know I live in the here and now. But I believe that we live in a world that is consumed by a harsh reality and as the players in the great game of life, we need a “get out of jail free card” whenever and wherever we feel that the walls are closing in on us.

I believe that when you dream you find that light at the end of a seemingly dark and eternal tunnel. I believe that like a child you find a true nirvana, if but for moment, in thinking you can do anything, because in all reality for that moment you can, and the whole world makes sense.

I pride myself in my childish daydreams. For example every time I turn on the ignition and my car revs into life, for a split second I am behind the wheel of the world’s fastest car waiting to begin a race. Or every time I walk by the names of the top ten students for every year since sometime in the seventies, I can see my name on there at the top of the list in a shiny gold name plate. For that instance, I find that my beliefs deep inside my heart for that moment are to be a racecar driver or to be the very best among thousands of unknowing contenders that attend the same university as I. The irony is that like the attention span of a child, I find myself moving on to the next dream the moment it strike my mind, like the rhythmic bass and drums erupting from my outdated cd player’s headphones. I stare of in to space living that moment as a rock star pouring my heart and soul into a guitar solo in front of a hundred thousand fans or maybe just in front of a mirror seeing as how I have stage fright….

Regardless, our dreams help us reveal our deepest desires and our honest to God beliefs how ever brief they maybe. Long ago I gave up on trying to figure out what exactly what my beliefs were, because for myself there were never the same. They were always subject to change like some fine print in a nightmarish credit card disclosure or I found some “what ifs” that threw me for a loop. So for the time being I define my beliefs by my infinite and ever changing dreams, so that makes my dreams my ultimate belief.