Patrick - Fairdale, Kentucky
Themes: sports

This I believe. I believe in the jump shot. Back in 1998 during the NBA championship game I was laying on my couch watching the angelic moves of Michael Jordan and how he was always making the other team look like beginners. The game was running down and the bulls were losing, I thought to myself there is no way the bulls are seriously going to lose to the Utah Jazz. There is a little side note that I want to tell you. I hate the Utah Jazz. I hated Karl Malone and Byron Russell. So with the clock running down and the bulls losing to the jazz I was praying for a miracle to happen. My prayer was answered, Michael Jordan stole the ball from Karl Malone and dribbled down the court, crossed Byron Russell over so bad that he fell, and pulled up at the free throw line and released what was a signature jump shot that put a cap on Michael Jordan’s second retirement and gave him his sixth national title. I remember thinking to myself what a great play by a great player. Everyone on the court, everyone on the face of the planet was expecting Michael to take the ball to the basket and perform some miracle move and win the game. Michael knew better he knew everyone was expecting the lay-up and he knew that he had the jump shot in his arsenal.

At that moment in time I realized the lost art form of the jump shot. I realized that everyone is so concentrated upon taking it to the basket and trying to make ESPN by dunking on someone or making some great move and making the opponent look ridiculous, don’t get me wrong basketball would not be the same without the dunks and the awesome move at the rim. Stop and think how many times are people so driven and concentrated on making themselves look like a star, and how many times do people just push and push in life and don’t stop to think “it would be so much easier to get the job done in the position or spot that I am in right now” people always want something they don’t have and want to go somewhere they can’t go. What’s wrong with stopping where you are and settling for what is given to you? There are certain things in life that we are given but we don’t ever recognize these opportunities because we are to self involved and overly concentrated on getting to the paint that we don’t notice the things that are right in front of us. We don’t recognize the jump shot that is available.