Casey - Logan, Utah

I believe in working hard and being productive. I believe that a lot of my success can be attributed to the fact that I have a great work ethic. The fact of the matter is, if you ask extremely successful people how they made it in life, the most common response will be “through hard work”. Henry Ford once said, “People see successes that men have made and somehow they appear to be easy. But that is a world away from the facts. It is failure that is easy. Success is always hard. A man can fail easily; he can succeed only by paying out all that he has and is.”

One of the biggest reasons that I think it is so important to work hard is my dad. When I was 7 years old my dad opened up a local cabinet shop in Tremonton, Utah. It was called Woodtronics Incorporated. It was a tough time at first because he started the business from scratch. My father expected me to help out. I don’t think my father really gave me a choice, but I thank him today for making me work in the family business. My dad was understanding with me when I was young; I only had easy jobs like cleaning up the shop. As I became around the age of 10, however, he expected me to work full-time during the summers and after school during the school year. I absolutely hated working in the cabinet shop. I dreaded my summers. While I was in high school I was able to pay for all of my clothes, buy my own gas, and rarely had to ask my parents for money. I know it helped out my parents a lot. The best thing that was happening though was inside me. I became a very hard worker.

During my senior year we had an approaching deadline that we worked very hard to meet. I was in school so I couldn’t help out a lot. The deadline was on Saturday and by Friday evening everyone was sent home and we realized that we were going to fall just a little bit short. That night, however, I secretly got the keys to the shop from my mom and I spent all night working on the project. That night I finished all but about two hours of the work. Saturday morning my Dad woke up and noticed a note on the table that explained that the work was nearly complete. He was so surprised and very happy about it. It helped him out a lot! I was a high-school senior that would have liked doing anything besides working all night. I think back and realize that it was my upbringing and the skills that I acquired that inspired me to work that whole night.

Why then do I write about my belief of hard work? I feel that life is short, we have limited time here and we never know when out life will be over. We have to make the most of all of our time. If we work hard and are productive I feel that we will live better lives as a result. College is something in life that requires a lot of hard work. Especially during the first couple of years you have to put up with a lot of unnecessary classes before entering your major. I feel that it is definitely worth the hard work though. The average college graduate will make a million dollars more than a non-graduate. It is not to say that people that aren’t going to college aren’t working hard. I know a lot of people that work very hard for their families and provide very well for themselves. I also know a lot of young people that are working in dead-end jobs and aren’t going anywhere in life. They don’t want to put forth the effort to go though college. They might think that they are young and it can wait. I see people in these dead-end jobs currently having a lot more free time and fun than me. Eventually the tables will turn, however. Five or ten years down the road our financial situations will be very different, our families will have very different struggles, and it will be a result of hard work.

The point is, the only sure way that you are going to go anywhere in life is by being productive and working hard. Sure someone might get lucky or have an easier road, but through hard work, perseverance, and productivity, we can make our own dreams come true.