Jonathan - San Diego, California

What exactly is the meaning of life? It is this very question that has plagued me for the most recent years of my life. It is a question that I feel I must find an answer to before the short time I have here on this planet is up. This great philosophical question, however, is not a question that can be answered easily. I believe that the quest for meaning is a lifelong journey and the journey is more important than the destination.

Life is good. I live in San Diego. I am a junior in college. I have a loving family and great friends. My life and current situation is something that I am very grateful for but it is a natural feeling for me to not simply accept the life that I am living but rather ask a few questions along the way. The most important of these questions to me is what am I living for? The answer to this question at first glance may seem obvious. It is true that I am living for my family and friends. I am living to go to school, graduate, and live a long successful life. But I refuse to accept that these great aspects of my life are the ultimate reasons that I am here on this planet.

Scientifically speaking, humans are a species just like any other organism on earth. The main function of a species is to recreate and keep the species alive and prospering. But because I am a human being, I have the mental capacity to ask these questions.

For as long as I can remember I have been taught that life is about growing up, getting a successful job, and starting a family. And nowadays the media is no different. I believe that this approach to meaning of life is not entirely false, but it is just not one that I can be comfortable accepting.

Meaning in my life is about personal experience. My personal interactions with the people I surround myself with and the environment I choose to live in are the factors that make up the meaning of my life. Because of the fact that these aspects of my life are constantly changing the meaning may not be cut and dry. It is through the experiences I face in my journey through life that give me a reason to live.

I am a strong believer that life is about the journey and not the destination. I believe that meaning in my life may not be something that is very easy to define. But it is something that is essential for an enjoyable existence.