Corey - Bloomington, California
Themes: purpose

I believe we all have a purpose to our lives. To me, a life purpose is that which brings happiness to your life but at the same time has meaning and is purposeful. I question my life’s purpose daily just as, I imagine, many of us do as we try to figure out who we are as people. Have you ever found yourself wondering what the meaning of something is or what the point of something happening is? I find myself doing that a lot. What is the significance of me writing this essay? Will it have meaning? A purpose? If just one person reads this essay, let alone enjoys it and gets something out of it, then my work has meaning, it has a purpose.

We all want someone to value our work and ultimately our lives and deem them worthy of something. We all want to have accomplished something and be remembered in some way. I have come to realize that every little thing we do has a purpose, which means our lives are purposeful no matter who we are. One kind word or warm embrace or hurtful insult or rude joke or smile or seemingly innocent action, they all have a purpose and mean something at their designated point in time. When you smile at someone and they smile back, it has impacted their life just at that moment. When you say something hurtful to someone it has also impacted that person’s life at that moment. Both of these instances trigger an emotion whether positive or negative and that is what gives it purpose. When something affects us and causes some sort of thought process or action, that is what makes the action meaningful. A smile and a hurtful word may not have the same affect on a person but they have the same impact, meaning some sort of emotion was triggered and a thought or action was conceived, and both have a purpose to be served. Everything we do has a purpose, but what is our overall life’s meaning? It is up to us to search ourselves as well as our souls to figure out what that purpose is.

I believe that my overall purpose in life is to make others around me smile and to bring joy to their lives, even if it is just for an instant. Seeing joy in others and watching them smile brings me happiness, especially when their joy is evoked by me. I love making others smile. When they smile I usually smile. When others around me are happy, I am usually happy. A life purpose is that which brings happiness to your life but at the same time has meaning and is purposeful. Making others smile brings me happiness and its purpose is clear, to give that person a moment of happiness and an instant of glee. This I believe to be my life purpose and everyone has one, the question is, What is your purpose?