Kevin - Leawood, Kansas

For some time now, the interface has been becoming less and less noticeable. Many people believe, nowadays, that the interface will soon diminish entirely away from society. This is true that the interface is becoming more transparent in our lives, yet it is tough to say whether it will entirely disappear or not. I believe that even though it is becoming more and more hidden, the interface will never disappear entirely from society.

I can still remember of the time when cell phones were still new. I remember how, at the time of their invention, they were huge clunky devices that had simply one function, making calls. As time passed though and technology progressed, society saw more applications and functions being added to the phones, such as calculators, address books, and calendars. I remember this was similar to my first cell phone when I got one for my sixteenth birthday. I remember first turning it on and going through all the different applications to see what my new phone could do. But, all these applications were not as great as they seemed. They forced the user to spend time going through the interface of the phone to use all the different functions. This did not cause the interface to disappear though.

In today’s world, we have just seen the release of the iPhone from Apple. I recently visited one of the Apple stores to see what all the talk was about. The iPhone is something entirely new in the way of cell phones. Its touch screen allows the user to move between applications and functions with ease. When I first picked up the phone to test it out I was amazed at how simply and quickly I could navigate the functions. Many people believe that this is the essence of a device that has no visible interface, but unfortunately they are wrong. The iPhone still has menus that the user must guide through to get to the applications; it still has buttons and a screen that shows the icons on the menus. The only way I can see the cell phone not having an interface would be if it was simply a blank box that automatically made calls and performed functions without ever being told to.

With this example of the iPhone we can see that even though the interface seems to be fading out of view from our daily lives, chances are we may never invent a tool that meets the true definition of an interface-free device. Technology is changing every day but we can always count on one thing to never fade away, and that thing is the interface.