Vanessa - Baxter Springs, Kansas
Themes: love

This I believe.

In life people use a little four letter word way too often, no not that four letter word. The four letter word that I am talking about is love. I believe that people should only use the word love when they truly mean it. Last year in the fall, I first was aware of this not so new problem.

I was sitting in my favorite Mexican restaurant with my oldest sister Sarah. The décor was festive with old time photographs of a Mexican worker holding a donkey by a makeshift, rope leash and he was wearing a sombrero. The music was loud in the background and was a sad tune with countless words, and I had no idea of what the singer was saying. The waitress had her hair wrapped up in a bun and with a caring smile she sat the warm, green bowl of Queso dip a concoction of cheese and jalapenos drizzled over warm, salty tortilla chips on the table. My sister and I were all digging in to the amazing sip when my sister said that she loved, absoultly loved the cheese dip. Immediately I started thinking about having never been told that I was loved by anyone, but a family member how could my sister use that deeply meaningful word on a food.

I felt disturbed by this comparison. How could my sister Sarah had compare a wonderful blessing between a man and woman to a cheese sauce that was now lingering in our stomach? From that moment on I kept my ears opened, every where I went I could hear random people toss this magical word around, like it meant nothing at all. “I love that pumpkin pie, with the golden crust and creaming brown center.” Or “I love my new Miranda Lambert song that talks about a battered blonde woman killing her abusive husband!” People have used this word so much that it makes want respect more than love.

I have always been a hopeless romantic and love was always the ultimate gift and ultimate goal I was reaching for. Whenever I hear the word love just tossed around like yesterday’s news, it takes away a little piece of my romantic dream. A dream that I have kept to myself for so long that it seems more like a fantasy than reality. I believe that the word love should only be used whenever a person really means it, and it should never be spoken about a cheese dip or any other object.