Daniel - Fayetteville, Georgia
Themes: science

I believe that accessibility to technology and the modern computer interface has unlocked the vault of human knowledge. No longer is information limited to a few scholars in a university library. Technology, such as the internet, combined with the modern interface allows anyone to easily access a common source of knowledge. From a fifth grade student working on their first research paper to a graduate student working on an elaborate dissertation, the modern interface has brought a wealth of information to every living room, office, and library. The internet enabled by advanced technologies is the interface that has changed the way humans educate and learn. Never has knowledge been so free as it is today. I grew up in the changing world that the internet created. I remember a time where the only easily accessible source of information was the distant public library. This all changed in 1996 when my family got its first computer. This was just an ordinary computer, with Microsoft Windows 95 and a 2 gig hard drive. What made this computer special was that it came with a modem and a free trial of America Online. As a seven year old kid the internet was great for games and chatting with my friends. For my parents the internet allowed for instant communication over long distances via e-mail.

What I didn’t realize as a seven year old was the true value that was integrated into the booming internet realm. The interface that is the internet is a tool which provides accessibility to knowledge and information. How amazing is that? All the collective knowledge of the world just a click away. It wasn’t until the end of my elementary school days that I realized how important the internet was to my education. While collecting facts for a research project on the brown woolly monkey, an obscure animal living deep within the Amazon Rainforest, I could not find any books relevant my subject matter. I had no luck at the public library or at the inadequate school library. So I turned to the internet in my search. I searched using Yahoo, and to my surprise there were thousands of results to my search. With the plethora of knowledge at my disposal I was able to complete my research paper. The technology and interface which allows for the internet provides more information, faster than a traditional library search. This ease and accessibility is a must in today’s fast-paced world. I have no doubts that the internet dominated world I live in has provided me more contact with knowledge and information than in a world deprived of the internet. I believe that the internet and computers are essential to the pursuit of knowledge and education today. I believe that every person should have access to the expansive tool that is the internet. It is a tool that levels the playing field by creating accessibility to the masses. I believe that technology and the evolution of the user interface have created the freedom and accessibility of knowledge for the better of humanity.