Carly - Moraga, California

With so many choices and beliefs in the world, how am I, having only sixteen years of experience, supposed to choose? When I was told I had to write this essay all I could think was, “What do I believe?” in the midst of my confusion, I hoped something would come to me. This decision of choosing what to write was too much for me to handle without guidance. While thinking about the choices that lay before me I realized that not knowing the answer to this question was not the end of the world. I believe in making the right decision at the right time.

I would say that I am religious. I go to church almost every Sunday and I attended church school since the first grade.

A few months ago I had to get confirmed, which is a process in which I confirm that I believe in the Catholic faith. Confirmation meetings were definatly not the highlight of my week. In fact they were boring and wasted two hours of my precious weekends. I started joking around with my mom at these meetings telling her that I wanted to be Jewish and I was forced to get confirmed to the Catholic religion.

Though it was a joke, I do want to be Catholic, I feel comfortable being a Catholic simply because it is the only thing I know. I am comfortable with my religion, while knowing that there are other religions out there that I have not yet experienced. I have my whole life to make decisions like this but now in my years of adolescence I am too insecure to stray from what is familiar to me.

At this time I can only hope that the morals and values I have been taught will guide me in the right direction. I am slowly beginning to realize that the outside world is different from the home I have grown up in. My fear of the future is a reality now that this time of maturity is approaching. With the thought of these fateful decisions that will soon be at hand, my first instinct is to panic. However, I know I have the rest of my life to develop the stability to be confident in my choices.

Writing this essay made me realize that there are many choices to make in my life. The questions I have right now will lead me to believing in the right things for me in all aspects of my life. Hopefully, I can now guide my own beliefs, rather than someone else guiding me in my beliefs.