Ellis - Gulfport, Mississippi

I believe in prayer. I believe in the power of prayer, believe God truly does exist, and believe if you pray with all your heart and are sincere, he will answer. Throughout my life, I have had many of my prayers answered, some quick, some not so quick. Although, some have still have not been answered. Prayer is an important part of my daily life, some days I pray a lot of other days I feel I didn’t pray enough.

The most important prayer I’ve had answered is the birth of my daughter. My wife has had (female) medical problems since before I met her. As a matter of fact, the day after I met her she was going to the doctor to have her cervix frozen due to cancer cells. I prayed for her then, even though I did not know her that well. About a year went by and we got married and she began to have more problems. Over the span of about three years, she had three different surgeries. One for cervical cancer cells, another to save her uterus, and one to treat endometriosis that was eating away at her child bearing organs. The doctors told us that she probably wouldn’t be able to have any kids and may have to have a hysterectomy if the endometriosis did not stop. They were also afraid if she did get pregnant she might miscarry. During all of this, my wife and I could not do anything but pray that God would bless us with at least one child. Sure, we had thought about adopting, but it just wouldn’t be the same.

We tried for about a year and a half to no avail. Then 911 happened and I was sent over seas for about 5 months. My wife and I continued to pray that he would one day bless us with a child. Once I returned home we began trying again, praying and praying that she would become pregnant. Well, she finally did about 2 months after I returned home. She was sick the whole nine months, but she made it through it. My daughter, Kaitlyn, was born on November 6, 2002. Although my wife had to have a complete hysterectomy after she was born, our prayers were answered.

Today, Kaitlyn is five years old and very healthy. I thank God everyday for her. I truly believe if you pray to God, your prayers will be answered. It may not be when, where, or how you want, but it will happen and when he knows best.