Garrett - Auburn, Washington
Themes: work

Over the years the primped and perfected persona of the “American childhood” has been symbolized and advertised by iconic characters such as Norman Rockwell, the famous artist of the 1950s, and 1960s, Toy R Us, the popular toy icon, and even popularities such as “Vogue” and “Oprah” magazine. However, it has come to the attention of a good percentage of the population, that children in this country have a tendency to be spoiled.

I disagree with this. Could it be that they are just overwhelmed by what kids these day are able to have, or are they just indeed spoiled. Without a doubt, some children are now, and can become spoiled based on income, or other ways of life.

One thing that should be taken into consideration, is that we live in America. We are the richest country in the world, and some people would agree with me saying, why not indulge ourselves a little.

Although, perhaps I could go so far as to say we have “too much of a good thing”.

True, technology has vastly improved since the generation of the baby boomer. We now have computers the size of a deck of cards, which 25 years ago, were the size of a house, and only reserved for the governments of nations. And also, the minimum wage in individual stated has improved, allowing the parents of many children to purchase items that previously, were not even in existence. Because of technology and mass-production that makes them cheaper to by. An mp3 player the size of a small Zippo lighter and powerful enough to hold perhaps 150 songs can be as cheap as 90 dollars.

They whine, they stomp, and cause general disruption until the parent or any other person accompanying the child gives in and buys them some candy they wanted or they toy that they just had to have!

I have had many people tell me that I am spoiled. My Mother, my friend and even some of my teachers, have made this assumption. The only thing that I can say to them is that I am blessed with family members that care about me. I am a very hard working person that has earned almost all of my money thru my job or chores, such as yard work.

Over the years when people have asked me what I want for my birthday, or Christmas, I didn’t really have a clue. It was only some gift certificates and maybe a new cell phone.

Not a very long list is it. Most of the things that I own, I have bought myself.

Such as when I recently purchased a new Ipod. I was able to buy this not because of money that was given to me, but with money that I earned working at the neighborhood restaurant on Main Street. I felt a sense of accomplishment because nobody gave it to me. I gave it to my self. Whenever people see it, there reaction is almost instantaneous. “Where did you get it” or “your so lucky” and the common “spoiled”! The only thing I can say is, I earned it. I guess you could say the saying “work hard, play harder” applies in this situation. I believe that if more teens or younger children could appreciate things a little better, then the commonly accepted idea that kids these days are spoiled can be disregarded. So many countries envy us, not because of our people, population, or history. It is instead because of our privileges and our money. In conclusion, the children of America should take pride in them selves, and value what they are very lucky to have.