Love

HSIN-I - South Bend, Indiana
Themes: change, love

The Beatles’s song, “All You Need Is Love,” tells us that all people need is love and love is all people need. However, love is hard to find because it is also hard to give. This is especially true for people who have never received love. They will not know how to give love to others. Therefore, I believe love can change people particularly those who have not received love. They can begin loving others after they receive love.

In fact, before I became a social worker and counseled teenagers who did not want to go to school, my definition was similar to most people. At that time, I thought that love is a strong feeling of affection and it exists between males and females or among families and friends. However, after I had contact with these teenagers, I realized that love was also a tool. Actually, these drop-out students neither wanted to go to school nor to stay at home because they could not accept love from their schools-mate and family members. After I gave them my love, they changed their thoughts; they gained the ability to love others which they had never done before.

One of my clients was in a juvenile prison when I met him. He told me only his friends paid attention to him, and they were considered by others as trouble makers. During the counseling process, I went to see him once a week. In our meeting, I found he actually had no confidence although his behaviors were impulsive. In fact, he wanted to gain consideration but he thought he was too bad to get it, so he used bad behaviors to attract others, especially his parents. His thought due to losing love; therefore, I let him realize his own inner value and I made it clear that I would never give up on him. I told him I trust he will be a good person, and the trust was from my love. However, I was sad that his parents refused to come to our sessions even though I had asked them to see him. Fortunately, my love influenced him gradually. He started to stop hating his family and school, and instead tried to love them.

After he left the juvenile prison, he told me that if his family and school could give him the kind of love I gave him, he actually did not want to be such a bad student. It was that time, I realized love could change a person’s thoughts. Also, I knew he really felt loved, and he also could pass it on to others. After he came back to school, he studied hard and tried to get along with his classmates. I thought if he still had not accepted love, he would have never known how to love others. Therefore, I believe that love can change people’s thoughts; moreover, people have the ability to accept and give love.