Dean - Milton, Kentucky

I believe my soul resides in my song. When I sing, another person, rather, another being takes over my body. I’m no longer worried about whether or not I’m going to pay my credit card bill on time. I’m no longer concerned with the fact that I am trying my hardest to make my way through college. I’m no longer the exoskeleton protecting my soul…I am my soul.

I’ve always had a strong connection with music. When I was younger I would constantly be getting yelled at by my brothers to stop singing in the car because I was annoying. But I couldn’t ever stop, every time I opened my mouth to sing I reached a different state of mind. I remember some of the first songs I ever learned were by the {then} lovely and talented Whitney Houston. I can remember the way they made me feel on the inside. It was as though something had crawled underneath my skin and went right into my heart and spread itself throughout my entire body. I’m not sure if I thought this then, but now I believe that my soul was awakened by another soul, in this case, Whitney Houston.

I laugh now as my family and I sit around the TV watching a four year old me singing along to “Queen of the Night” and “I Will Always Love You.” But the look in my tiny eyes still gives me chills every time I watch it. There is a euphoric look about them, it’s as though they are the windows to another world, another place, another being. I don’t watch myself singing on tape too much anymore because I like to live my music in the moment, just let it develop and thrive in this space and time…right now.

I can close my eyes and begin to sing a song. If I slowly let my worries be carried off into the distance with the sound waves resonating from my mouth, I can feel my soul arise. I can feel it dance in my vocal cords, changing the sound they make. I can feel my soul bouncing around my feet as they begin to tap along with the beat. I can even feel my soul start to turn up the corners of my mouth on the outside of my face as my song escapes my body.

I believe my soul resides in my song. Not only does it control every fiber of my being once I begin to sing, but it begins to take me to another place. My soul whisks me away to a place where my song is the only thing in the world…no hate, no war, no pain…just me, my soul, and my song.