Matt - McHenry, Illinois
Themes: addiction, family

I believe that addiction could ruin a person’s life. I have experienced this first hand with both of my older twin brothers. Both of them had a real chance to have a better life. Their father passed away and left them both an inheritance. Both of my brothers took this for granted and let drugs distract them from everyday life. But one of them took it to an extreme and really let it get to his head. Before his addiction he was a great he was a great guy who had a job, a place, and his head on his shoulders. And I saw him loose it all right in front of my eyes. It killed me inside to know that, and wished I could have helped him. But I couldn’t and no one could. So then I got woken up in the middle of the night to find out my big brother is dead. I just would’ve never thought that anything like addiction would hurt my family so badly and cause my mom so much pain. I believe that addiction ruins lives because it ruined a part of mine. But I’m happy to know that it was a slap in the face for my other brother. Now there is no longer addiction going around in my family and that the way I want it to stay.