Chastity - Morganton, North Carolina

My BMX Dreams

My family has always had high expectations for me to go far. They always say you can be a doctor or a lawyer, but last year I realized that my dreams had changed. Also, I realized that if I did what my parents told me to do, my dreams would be far from achieved. A few years ago my older brother, Jason, told me not to hold back and follow my dreams not somebody else’s. He had inspired me to start riding BMX. He had been doing it for about three years, and he even rode for endorsements for a while. After that, he found out that he just rather do it for fun and not the money. He bought my first BMX bike for me on my eighth birthday. From that day on, I’ve been hooked to BMX. But with great happiness comes great tragedy. Two years ago, Jason died as a result of a suicide bomber in the war. After his death I stopped riding for about a year and just shut the world out. They left me with his favorite BMX bike. One day, I went out into the garage and just saw that bike sitting there. I thought to myself for a second and came to the conclusion that my brother would want me to keep riding, not let my dreams fall through the gutter. That day, I rode my heart out and since then I’ve never stopped.

Everyone has always asked me “Why chase a dream you will never achieve?” I always say, “I can achieve it because I put my heart into it 110 percent and you can’t discourage me.”

After my brothers’ death, I fell into a big problem because I made some wrong decisions. As a result of these actions I was put on probation for three months. Now everyone says, “If you make it big, no one will sponsor you because of your record.” When they say this, I think about the last thing my brother said to me. “While I’m gone to war hold your dreams close, and ride everyday with your heart no matter what other people may think.” I think that he couldn’t have left me with any better advice.

I believe that despite the thirty plus hospital trips and the forty-six broken bones including three ribs, that I would never change my dream. I believe that you should follow dreams no matter what you’ve done or what other people think of you. Always have passion, meaning do what you love and love what you do. When you try to achieve your dreams, just tune out every nasty comment and ill-tempered word, and do what you want. So just remember no matter what other people believe it’s what you believe that counts.