John - morganton, North Carolina

The Dream

My “American Dream” is to be my own person, to live my life the way I want to live it. I believe that I need to be my own person, but I also need to be loyal and obedient to parents, teachers, and mentors. I think you should chase your dreams, and not fall back on plan B or change your goals to accommodate someone else. I live in a family of well-known police officers, yet in my life, people criticize me because of who I am, for my father is the sheriff, and a lot of people in the public and at school do not respect me or my family.

When people ask me what I want to be when I grow older, I say I want to be an F.B.I. agent, but many think I am crazy, for this sounds more like a fantasy instead of reality. I wish to also live on a thirty to forty acre parcel of land, and to have a family, but I only wish to have two kids. I believe to have trust in God and in living my life completely for him. I believe that the “American Dream” for the majority of Americans is to be famous and rich. Every year, millions of Americans participate in the lottery in the hopes of becoming rich and fulfilling their “American Dream”. But another part of the country believes in a more simple and realistic dream. That dream is to raise a family, own land, and have a peaceful life. That is my dream, to have a peaceful life.

Not all people chose to follow this way of life; many chose to chase unrealistic and childish fantasies, such as becoming an actor, and having a chance in the spotlight. I believe that I need to enjoy my childhood, for it only comes once. I also feel that American society is full of opportunities, but I believe many teens think there are more easily attained opportunities which require little or no work than there really are, even what seem to be simple jobs require more work than many teens realize. Many do not understand the effort that is required to achieve the good and carefree life. I understand the decisions I make at this stage in my life directly affect my future, and I have to build a strong foundation today in order to be a good husband and father, and be successful at my job. This is my “American Dream”.