Caitlin - Morganton, North Carolina
Themes: sports

Do You Believe in Magic?

I was five years old when I got my first basketball. My daddy told me, “Baby girl, when you got the ball it feel like magic; can you feel that magic baby?” That’s why I believe that everyone has magic inside them. Through the years, many have said, “Girls can’t play” or “She has no game.” I want to prove them wrong.

An old basketball coach once told me, “In life there’s always going to be someone to bring you down or stand in your way, but if you believe in yourself, show them what you got and take it to the hole.” This means that even though people don’t believe in you, show them your magic and let them weep what you sew. Following my dreams and showing my magic- that’s the American dream. Taking pride in what I do despite the injuries, taunts, and the bumped heads, doing what I love even others don’t approve; that is the greatest thing.

I believe that there’s magic in everyone, but some are just afraid to tap into it. When I’m on the basketball court, I love tapping into that magic. I know I’ve tapped into my magic when I’m making great passes or long shots. I also take pride in what I do, and I’m not ashamed of the broken ankles and the sprained wrists. Playing basketball isn’t just about scoring points or making fast breaks; it’s about the feeling you get when you know you’ve tapped into your magic and tried your best win, lose, or draw.

Love every aspect of your life no matter if it’s hard, scary, or just plain mean, love it because one day you’re not going to be here to watch others tap into their magic. Through life there are many ups and downs and hardships that we have to go through as humans, but if you take pride in what you do, you can achieve anything that you put your mind to. My motto is play hard or go home, meaning in life you have to tough it out no matter if it hurts or you don’t like it, do it anyways and be good at it.