Carly - Morganton, North Carolina

I believe the American dream is being an individual. Not doing or being what everyone else wants you to be or become. Our country was founded on the desire for personal freedoms, the ideals of non-conformity. If you listen to what other people have to say, or what other people tell you to do with your life then your letting other people run your life because your so worried what other people might think or what someone might say to you.

I don’t decide my clothes, shoes, jewelry, or what my hairs supposed to look like based on what everyone else is wearing or how they do their hair. My decisions for my appearance are based on what I like, and it doesn’t really matter where my clothes come from or what my hair looks like. The clothes I like I buy and I wear my hair the way I want to wear it, no matter what people say. I’m glad that my friends are the same way, and they don’t really listen to what other people say.

All my friends are different. Some of my friends are preppy; some are really smart, like to study and do school work; and some are very athletic and are involved with a lot of sports. I’m glad that they are different because if they weren’t, then it would be really boring to be around them. Most of my friends and I have different personalities. I have one friend that’s quiet, a lot of friends that are really loud and crazy, and then I have some friends that are in between. If we were all the same, then we would never have fun, life would be boring.

I believe everyone should just be themselves and not try to be what or who they are not because if you are trying to be someone else then you will never really be happy. So stop trying to be one of the crowd. Just be comfortable with you are and just be the best “you” can be, no matter what anyone else wants you to be.