Matthew - West Mineral, Kansas

The sanctity of sex in America is all but evaporated, this I believe. Were the moral values of “no sex before marriage” obscured from my parent’s generation to my own sometime? Call me old-fashioned, but I still believe that sex should take place between two people who truly love each other, or at least that is precisely what my parents taught me growing up in a rural town, isolated from the horrors of modern society. This, however, no longer seems the case as the sexual revolution seems to have taken a full swing towards promiscuity. When I come into my dormitory after the weekend, the only conversation that flutters around is who slept with whom and how many were involved. As I turn on the television, I am bombarded with stories of celebrities who have become pregnant, or which celebrity is now in the bed of another. Often my roommate, who is the same age as me, will talk about the newest girl he is seeing, and all too often the sentence after her name will include,” she has two kids,” or, “she recently got divorced.” Even the holiness of marriage seems to have degraded over the last three decades. What once was a celebration of the love two people have for one another has become an obligation for the child developing silently in the woman’s womb, a seemingly unwanted parasite doomed to live the life of the failure of America’s moral standards. The Christmas holiday, which I believe to be one of the ultimate family occasions, has been corrupted by industries to include costumes of “Mrs. Clause” flaunting large breasts, wide hips, and every other imaginative idea behind a woman’s body to idolize her sexual appeal. However, it is not only men that are the problem, the Stone Age idea that men are more likely to have sex than their female counterparts has taken a turn. Instead, it seems that women are now more likely to have sex than men with partners they have only recently met. Do not take my words wrong, though. I do not discourage the act of sexual intercourse, I just advocate that people should put ounce of respect into the act. Two people that are truly in love with each other are perfectly justified in creating one of the greatest deeds of affection for one another. It is when this beautiful display of devotion becomes a display of animalistic lust that decimates the true meaning behind sex. Regardless of other’s feelings towards how sex should be incorporated into the daily American lives, I believe that sex should not so much be looked upon as a sin or a simple function of pleasure, but as a reward for remaining faithful to a couple until wedlock and as a solitary act of love for one another. Whether it’s on the television, or in a Christmas display window, sex has a firm grasp our lives, and we as a whole need to treat it better. This I believe.