Cristina - Americus, Georgia
Themes: birth, family

My belief in the adoption process has grown very important, because of my close relationship with someone that has been deeply affected by the experience of being adopted. At the age of two weeks old, an innocent baby was given up for adoption. With only the ability to breath air, the baby now belonged to a man and woman that had an overwhelming sense of love.

As this baby grew up to become a young man, his parents made him aware that he was adopted. In the spring of 2006, the young man decided that he was ready to meet his birth mother. The doctor that had delivered him at birth searched through his files to find the name of his birth mother. He was also sent to see a psychiatrist to make sure he was mentally stable enough to proceed with the ordeal.

Later in the summer of 2006, after many phone calls had been made between the young man and his birth mother, a meeting was arranged. It was decided that the young man would travel to Tarboro, North Carolina for their first engagement. There this woman, who had given birth to this young man many years ago, awaited his arrival. The young man arrived, and he and his birth mother were filled with overwhelming anxiety and mixed emotions. A void that had been growing within the lives of these two people was finally filled. The young man returned home to Georgia with a sense of relief and fulfillment. This meeting was the sparking element in erasing the questions and concerns that had floated around in the minds of these two individuals.

Although this young man, for whom I have a continuous growing respect, has been loved and encouraged by his adopted parents throughout his entire life, at times, I can sense he feels lost in this world. In telling me his story, I can sense his serious emotions coming through. After meeting this young man and hearing his story, my feelings about adoption have changed. I had never fully understood the process or known the emotions and experiences those who have been adopted encounter. This young man has lived a wonderful life, filled with every joy and all the love any child deserves. As any individual, this young man has had his ups and downs. He has willingly fought his battles, and at times, because of his adoption, he felt he had to prove himself to those around him. However, this young man has nothing to prove. His dominating personality says it all. He is an amazing person, who has an excessive potential.

The love and respect I have for this young man is more than words can express. In learning of his experiences and past I can honestly say I would do anything in the world to make him feel loved. He deserves to know he is no different from any other one of his peers. I feel that adoption should be positively promoted among society. If adoption had not been an option for this young man’s birth mother, I would not have him in my life today. I believe that every innocent newborn should have a chance to grow up in a loving environment and have a place in society. Promoting adoption and allowing those who have been adopted to share their story can change the thoughts and opinions of those around them. Hearing the story of someone who has adopted may give hope for future children and their birth parents whom are put under the same circumstances.