Family Can Never be Broken

Chester - Virginia Beach, Virginia

I believe that through any sort of major tragedy, family will always stick together. Tragedy, in my opinion, is something no one will ever want to experience. The definition of a tragedy is described as any event that results in a sad and unfortunate outcome.

My family and I experienced it first hand following the deaths of my aunt and uncle in the same month. Both of them had cancer so my family always made time to visit them in the hospital, but when both my relatives suddenly lost their fight against cancer it was as if the world stood still for a moment. It took a huge toll especially on my cousins that my aunt and uncle cared for. Our family is pretty tightly knit so all of us were affected by this tragedy, but overcame it because of the love and support of each other.

My cousins and I are very close. I always felt a sense of joy every time I see them. When the tragedy happened, I was there for them every time they needed me. I was their shoulder to cry on and I was never hesitant about it. They are my older cousins, the ones I looked up to as a child. They were my role models and I knew if I ever experienced any sort of tragedy, I know they will be there for me.

Most of my cousins come from Florida so when they came to visit, it was always a big deal. The times my family and I gather for the holidays are my favorite memories. My other cousin, who lives about ten minutes away from my house in Virginia, throws a big family party every year during the holidays. All the aunts, including my mom, would cook a lot of food while my dad and the other uncles hung out in the garage, playing poker and talking with each other. My brother, older cousins, and I played basketball and other sports in the daytime and video games in the nighttime. My cousins and I played all night long while the aunts, uncles, and my girl cousins slept early. This is basically our tradition every year during the holidays, but ever since the death of both my relatives, which happened only three years ago, it seemed as if the family holiday parties are a lot quieter than they ever were. I will always miss my uncle telling all his funny jokes and my aunt talking about her experiences and giving insight to my mom and the other aunts.

Family relationships are strong and are pretty much everlasting. In a way they are like a guiding light to turn to when tragedy strikes. Friends come and go but family is forever, that is the way I see it and is something I will always believe.