Zachary - Forest, Virginia

Shows

I believe in going to shows, or concerts as non-goers say. There is a lot in just going to shows; the insanely fast car ride, the needed stop at taco bell, and the loud music blaring in the packed car the whole time with hot sauce everywhere. When I got to the show I would hear the band tuning up, and I would see all of the people either in small, but many, groups outside of the venue or packed like sardines inside; depends on where I went.

When the band gets ready to start, everyone starts pouring in and everyone’s eyes are on the band. Then, that one moment comes. The band starts with a chord, lets it ring, and introduces themselves. After that, a silence for less than one second, then BOOM, the band starts with their first song and the whole place goes nuts. People are screaming, friends are laughing, and music blaring again. People start dancing in front of the band together, and everyone is having the time of their life.

When the first band is done, people go outside to smoke their broken cigarettes. The second band starts loading their instruments onto the stage. Another fifteen minutes goes by with conversation and another taco bell run for the people who just got hungry. Again, everyone packs in as the second band starts. This time my friends are on stage and getting ready to play. My heart starts skipping because of the anticipation. The guitars are tuning, then everything stops; mechanical problem. One of my friends makes a joke about it on stage and everyone laughs. They fix it and move on. Then the time comes, they start, and the place goes crazy yet again as my friends play on stage. Everyone starts to lose their voice from screaming and singing along. Finally, the last song, the one everyone came to hear. They start it and everyone knows all the words. People are jumping on stage to help sing into the mic. People are crowd surfing, strobe lights are flashing, and the place is going nuts one last time. The band stops, the song is over, they tell everyone “thanks for coming out, and hope to see you again”. Everyone stands around shaking hands with the band and talks with other friends. The conversations start again with a new pack of smokes from the car.

When the music stops and the bands call it a night, everyone leaves in the same cars they came in, but this time there isn’t any noise or hot sauce in the car. Everyone has headaches and their ears are ringing, and they couldn’t be any happier. So, I believe in shows, not the actual show itself, but the people and interaction with others. The simple fact that everyone is on the same level when they go to a show.