Taylor - Chesapeake, Virginia

I believe friendships are the most important bonds people have between one another. Everyone needs a group of close friends to spend time and live their lives with. Friends are always there for each other; they are a pair of ears when you need them the most and there to work through some of life’s toughest problems right by your side. Friends will go out of their way to do absolutely anything for one another. I live everyday putting my friendships with others in front of everything else. Day in and day out, I find time to spend with them. They are always top priority in my life’s agenda, even if it means putting off critical school assignments until the very last minute.

About a month or so ago, the house that one of my good friends was trying to move into caught fire. An entire bedroom was engulfed in flames, leaving soot stains, burn marks, and the lingering smell of smoke all throughout the house. He and his parents, who own the house, have been working relentlessly to repair the damages and restore the house back to its original state. He is at the house everyday from the time he gets off of work until sometime late in the night, steadily working. For as long as I can remember, he has never been one to ask for help with anything. Thus, when I recently asked him if he needed any help with the work being done that particular day, I was surprised when he said he could use all the help he could get. So without contemplating on whether or not I should stay home and write this very essay, which was an assignment for my composition class due the next day, I showed up to lend a hand. I worked for hours painting the house. At the end of the night, there was a coat of paint on every square inch of trim work and plaster. He was very grateful of all the help I was able to give.

Friends will always be my number one priority in my day-to-day life. I have no regrets choosing them over my school work, my job, or anything else. I am willing to sacrifice my grades to come to the aid of a friend in need. Even though I sometimes bite the bullet with my performance in school, having strong friendships is what makes the time I spend with them bittersweet.