Quinton - Americus, Georgia
Themes: sports, work

Hard Work Pays Off

“Hard work pays off.” Since I was five years old, I’ve been playing three sports; baseball, basketball, and football. From recreation to high school to now, I feel my skills have improved and also the competition level has risen over those years. All my life I’ve been on a winning team. I had coaches that pushed us day in and day out to work hard and it showed when it was game time. No one likes to lose in anything, “that’s just human nature.” That’s why a label myself as a “winner,” and another reason why I have such a strong competitive drive. Working for something you love doing or want to do may take a while, but the results will show tremendous improvement.

My older brother and I had good times and bad in the backyard playing basketball. He always took advantage of me because he was bigger, older and stronger than me. Most of the time the games would end in a fight or a argument. Even though I couldn’t beat my brother in a game of basketball, it showed me that I had more work to do.

As I became older, competition got harder because just about everyone at your position can do it just as well as you. It was up to me to work harder and stand out amongst other great players. Basketball was one of sport that I worked hardest at because I had the most success in that sport. In high school, we practiced at six o’clock in the morning before school began which was a big commitment. After school the team went over plays and had a shoot around. I also had the opportunity to play at prestigious basketball camps at Florida State and Clemson University. I picked up great tips from those camps that the average high school player wouldn’t know. That’s why my team went far in the State playoffs three consecutive years.

Hard work pays off for people that want it bad enough. Some of the best athletes in today’s sport will tell you the exact same thing. It won’t be easy because there’s numerous of people trying to do the same thing. Hard work just don’t play a role on the field, it plays a role off the field as well. Sports help you stay out of trouble and help you keep your grades up because you can’t play sports with bad grades. Some college coaches have tendencies to give scholarships to people that work hard and don’t have any offensive skills at all. That’s why working hard has a great reward the end for people that love what they are doing.

Practice makes perfect is a popular universal slogan. The harder you practice, the better you become. I believe that holds true for anything you set your mind to, no matter how difficult it may seem. I learn something everyday either from past experiences or someone older than me telling things. Hard workers are always rewarded especially when it comes to jobs. For example, I had a job at Lithonia Lighting and I did good job for them. Now the person that hired me is expecting another call from me any day now because I was such a good worker. As long as you put your all into it you will never fail. As long as you know that you gave your all, you will always feel like a winner.