Rolando - Winchester, Virginia

I believe in family. In the way a family stays together even after they hurt each other.

It was my senior year of high school and everything had turned into chaos. Two months before hand my older brother, Jackie, had met a physiologically imbalanced girl at his college. She had moved into my house during those past two months. My older brother was a driven computer engineer, but since he had been dating her, he lost all his motivation. His girlfriend had him to quit engineering and made him take up watching “Anime” and playing video games all day long.

My parents, little brother, and I were all disappointed in him. He lost his position on the Dean’s List and decided to drop out of college. We were disturbed that he had done that, but his reason for doing so was so that he could help pay for the bills. I took this as blow to the face. Because I was paying for his college and helping my parents out so that he could better his education. Everyone in my family had talked to my older brother about dumping her to get his life back on track but he never listened to anyone.

After three months of screaming and fighting with my parents about running up an eight thousand dollar credit card and his girl friend moving out, my older brother took drastic measures. It was January and a week before my birth day, everyone in my family had just got home from working or after school activities and my older brother came in with his friend. Everyone in my house thought it was suspicious that he came home with that friend, when he told us he was going to be with a different one that we all knew. The next morning my little brother and I woke up to my mom and dad fighting. We ran down the stairs to find out what they were fighting about and found out that Jackie had run away. They were accusing each other of whose fault it was for this. The next couple of days the atmosphere in my house was dark and saddening. We had spent two days looking for Jackie and had no clue of where he was and if he was alright.

The months while Jackie was gone I hated and despised him for all of our problems. I did not care if he was alright or not. Overstressed and in debt I decided to quit after school activities which I loved and took up working again. My grades plummeted because of working and being exhausted.

After my family and I got in touch with my Jackie we all went off on him, but after he came over to the house we were all happy to see him. We didn’t care what he had done to us and got him an apartment later that year.

Family should stick together through even if one of them is misguided.