Lloyd - Warrenton, Virginia
Themes: science

Never Ending Numbers

I believe in math and the numbers it is based on. I believe in math because while growing up it was the one subject I could count on. I could always count on numbers to be the same, I believe in their absoluteness. Numbers also have a power of unity because of their universal nature. Their universal significance is what connects every person in the world in some way.

Math was always my easiest class while I dreaded every minute of English. Math never changes. When I was a sophomore, my English teacher was the first to hand me an F. I was shocked. I was an honor roll student since 4th grade. The next report card came with a big C stamped next to English. My grammar for the overall paper was not bad but my teacher didn’t feel it was original. She felt! How do you grade by feel? That moment was when I lost all faith in English classes and was just glad that my Math teacher graded me on whether my answer was right or wrong.

English is full of in betweens and I want my work to be based on proofs, something that I can see my work compared to and judged by. I believe in math and numbers, because someone can show you how your answer, or number, is different from the right answer and thus wrong. With so much uncertainty in the world today it is comforting to know something is consistent.

Numbers are one of the rare things that connect everybody in the world. Anything with that power of unification is a force to be reckoned with and should be acknowledged by all it affects. I believe in something that I think everyone in the world can relate to and that most people probably also believe in. Everyone shares special numbers such as mile markers in the form of years spent on earth; birthdays. All Americans share their 18th and 21st birthdays as a rite of passage. Religions that span borders connect their followers by dates and religious symbols that are numbers.

Without numbers where would we be? They define us by age. They locate us through longitude and latitude, as well as by our address. They run our world because computers count on two numbers: zero and one. With so much importance that everyone counts on, it only makes sense to believe in them.